On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 04:34:27PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> As long as EDK2 does something sensible when the DTB says "two
> UARTs here and here" and it also finds a virtio-serial PCI
> device, I don't mind what exactly it does. The problem here is
> more that EDK2 currently does strange things when told that
> the hardware is present, rather than that anybody specifically wants
> EDK2 to use multiple serial outputs.
>
> Though given there's no way to say in the DTB "use a PCI card
> for your console" I think the virtio-serial approach is likely
> to be awkward for users in practice.

edk2 adds a virtio console to the edk2 console multiplexer if
present (for both pci and mmio virtio transports), and systemd
spawns also spawns a getty on /dev/hvc0 if present.  So this
works mostly automatic.  Only if you also want the linux boot
messages show up there too you need to add 'console=hvc0' to
your kernel command line.

take care,
  Gerd