OK, let me make this a bit more precise just in case: QEMU master
915d34c5f99b0ab91517c69f54272bfdb6ca2b32, built with:

 ./configure --enable-debug --enable-trace-backends=simple
--target-list=x86_64-softmmu

full command:

./qemu-img convert -f raw -O qcow2 rootfs.ext2 img.qcow2

and this then generates a trace file trace-<pid>. Trace options can be
controlled with:

./qemu-img -T ... convert ...