I'm building a kernel suitable to boot Raspbian and a custom buildroot
based ARM OS via qemu-system-arm. Everything appears to work except for the
hardware rng device. I'm using a virt machine with:

      -object rng-random,filename=/dev/urandom,id=rng0 -device
virtio-rng-pci,rng=rng0

In both Raspbian and my own system, I see this:

# cat /dev/hwrng
cat: read error: No such device

rng-tools can not read the device and doesn't start up properly, leaving my
entropy pool woefully low. The kernel I'm using is based off the rpi-4.19.y
branch (4.19.97) with additional config options set. Of relevance:

CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_VIRTIO=y
CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI=y
CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIRTIO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_VIRTIO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_HW=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RNG2=y
CONFIG_HW_RANDOM=y

I honestly don't know which of these actually matter. I'm wondering, am I
missing something?

Thanks,
Wes