On 2024-04-25 14:51, lacsaP Patatetom wrote:
Le jeu. 25 avr. 2024 à 11:30, Peter Maydell <peter.mayd...@linaro.org <mailto:peter.mayd...@linaro.org>> a écrit :

    On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 09:55, lacsaP Patatetom
    <patate...@gmail.com <mailto:patate...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > hi,
    >
    > when using `qemu-img create`, why do I have to specify the
    format of the base image ?
    > can't `qemu-img` detect it itself ?

    Image format detection isn't 100% reliable. Notably, a 'raw'
    format image could in theory look like any of the other
    image types if it happens to start with the right kind of data.

    thanks
    -- PMM

OK for the raw format, which can be anything, but not for the qcow2 format, which is standardized (header). in the absence of details, `qemu-img` could use the qcow2 format by default ?

qemu-img create [-b base [-F (qcow2*|raw)]] [-f (qcow2*|raw)] image [size]
But it cannot safely tell if the base file (usually a raw image or raw physical disk partition) is qcow2 or araw file that just happens to begin with the magic
bytes that represent qcow2.

Enjoy

Jakob