Hi

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 17:47 +0200, Annina Hirschi Wyss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm preparing my master's thesis on the subject of handling fuzzy objects
> using the fuzzy logic, with the focus on geometries (not on the thematic
> level).
> I wanted to know, if there has already been a discussion about implementing
> this in QGIS or in a plugin.

As far as I know, no one is working on this or has discussed it. But its
an interesting topic and it would be nice to see some real innocation
happening in QGIS.

> Showing the uncertainty of boundaries is needed in some cases of spatial
> planning, when the "crisp" geometries are not yet defined.
>
> A possible use case could also be to draw a polygon with certain attributes,
> then the border of the polygon "copied" to one or more oriented polyline
> layers with special attributes (e. g. the distance of the uncertainty, to
> which the fuzzy-function is applied). These polylines are linked by a foreign
> key to the polygon-feature. This would certainly require the use of a
> database, namely Postgre/PostGIS.
> A polyline layer (linked to the polygon) can also be "crisp" e.g. if the
> border is a street or a river. So it should be possible to combine crisp and
> fuzzy segments for the same polygon.
> Visualising this could result in a polygon with a sort of "thick pen-trace"
> (the thickness corresponding to the distance-attribute of the polyline)
> boundary, showing the uncertain band. The thickness corresponds to the
> distance-attribute of the polyline.
>
> Another possible visualisation (sort of fuzzy buffers) is presented in the
> following paper: http://www.geo3.nl/12%20fuzzy%20set%20theory.pdf (fig. 1b).

Right - one could probably apply blur effects and similar to lines to
represent their fuzzyness - Qt4 already has some infrastructure for this
kind of thing e.g.
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qgraphicsdropshadoweffect.html#details

I'm not sure about using two separate layers as you describe above - it
might be nicer to make fuzziness simply an attribute of the feature -
though I guess it doesnt cope well for the scenario where individual
segments of a feature have different fuzziness levels...

> If there are developers interested in this, I would be glad to know, as my
> own programming skills are rather basic.

Look forward to seeing your proof of concepts!

Regards

Tim