Hi Paolo

I had the same problem with all Python plug-ins that used their own QgsMapCanvas. There were some changes to the map canvas class and the appropriate SIP files weren't updated. Here is a link to the ticket I've created, it also contains a patch: https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/3420

I think Tim applied the patch in the last revision. Basically only the following changes:

Add "void paintEvent(QPaintEvent *);" to python->gui->qgsmapcanvas.sip

It fixed things for me, but it would be nice if you could confirm that it works. Thanks.

Christoph