On Mar 20, 2011, at 10:55 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

> Here is a patch to allow that option to be set on OS X systems. It does not
> get at the root concern about unavailable items being present in the gui.

I'll give it a try.  I wonder if the resize issue mentioned is still present?

> And speaking of gui issues on OS X, can you confirm if the Help menu item is
> not showing up as the third item from the right in the menubar? That is so
> for me, but it should be the rightmost item.

Ugh, that's really recent.  I'm pretty sure I didn't see anything wrong in
r15455 when we were looking at the speed issue.

> John
>
> On Mar 20, 2011, at 8:31 PM, John C. Tull wrote:
>
>> Hi William,
>>
>> I believe this all can be traced back to this:
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/changeset/8421
>>
>> Although I am not sure if that is true of the option to turn the on/off when
>> loaded. I manually turned on the 'qgis.new_layers_visible' in the plist file
>> and it seems to work fine.
>>
>> Ah, it appears that the "fix" for Mac rendering redraw problems was to
>> disable the entire groupBox_5 in the qgsoptions.cpp file for Mac systems.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2011, at 6:12 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>>> I wanted to test the recent [spatialite] loading speed issue by turning
>>> layers off before saving a project.  There is a QGIS render preference to
>>> turn on/off layers by default when adding them to a project, but it is
>>> greyed out (and checked on), along with the other render behavior options,
>>> # features to draw and render cache (unchecked).  I think it's always been
>>> greyed out as far back as I can remember.
>>>
>>> Why are these options present if they can't be changed?  Do I need to
>>> enable something in compilation?  Is it dependent on another option?  If
>>> they can't be changed at all, they shouldn't be shown in the application
>>> preferences.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no particular
pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of the
allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the ____ it
wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war