I'm very interested in user-definable grid functionality, and I was
planning on implementing something myself for a plugin I'm writing. My
needs are to have the grid set to an arbitrary angle, and ideally to
know which grid square the user has clicked in, relative to a
user-defined origin.

If anyone wants to collaborate, or just has ideas on how best to
implement it, let me know.

Regards,
JD

On 10 May 2012 05:35, Alister  Hood <alister.h...@synergine.com> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 18:00:07 -0300
>> From: Etienne Tourigny <etourigny....@gmail.com>
>> Subject: [Qgis-developer] show grid on map canvas (similiar to grid
>>         used in composer) - strategy?
>> To: qgis-developer <qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to add support to draw a grid on the map canvas, in a way
>> similar to what is done in the map composer (although perhaps without
>> the annotations on the borders).
>>
>> What should be the approach used?
>>
>> 1) plugin or core?
>> 2) rubberbands or basic plot functions triggered after mapCanvas update?
>>
>> I think both drawing strategies are possible using a plugin.
>>
>> It would be best to write in the core, assuming there is sufficient
>> interest in this, but it will take time to trickle down to the stable
>> version (an argument for making it a plugin).
>>
>> I know the current workaround is to create a vector grid with ftools,
>> but that is a little clunky.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>> Etienne
>
> Hi,
> I'm not a developer, so this might be a crazy and unnecessary idea, but would
> it be feasible to create a graticule _provider_?
>
> This approach would mean that like grids created with ftools, the grid would
> be created as a layer, but it wouldn't be file based and its extents would
> automatically update.
>
> Unlike the approach used in the composer, this would mean:
> - digitising tools could snap to the grid lines.
> - the identify tool could identify the grid lines.
> - the layer could be used for analysis (e.g. you might want to use it to
> split vector layers).
> - symbology and feature labelling could work just like other vector layers.
>
> If this was to actually replace the grids in the composer, some improvements
> to feature labelling would be needed.  Some of these would probably be good
> to have anyway, e.g. an option to label both ends of a line, and an option to
> align labels horizontally or vertically on the page, rather than N-S or E-W.
> I guess the difficult one would be providing a way to display labels outside
> the map frame...
>
> Regards,
> Qgis-developer mailing list
> Qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making exciting discoveries. - AA Milne