Hi

In my opinion, it is better to use the Qt classes for the network requests than curl. In QGIS, we have QgsNetworkAccessManager, which picks up automatically the network settings from the options tab (proxy settings, exclusion list, password, disk cache). It has nice progress reporting by signal/slot, the possibility to interrupt the network request and a disk cache. And the possibility to provide custom implementations for all that if necessary.

Like this, WFS, WPS, WMS providers, plugin installer and open layers plugin (and third party python plugins) have a unified method to do network requests. No need to use a different network library for each one (and the mapping is never 1:1, there is always loss).

So while it might be quicker (in terms of development time) to use the GDAL provider, a standalone provider is always more native and flexible (that's also the reason there are QGIS vector providers for postgres, wfs, gpx, spatialite, grass while everything can be read with the OGR provider).

Regards,
Marco