Hi William,

On Nov 19, 2012, at 4:53 PM, William Kyngesburye <wokl...@kyngchaos.com> wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:43 AM, John C. Tull wrote:
>
>> If you manage it, please report back. My workaround is clunky, but it works
>> for me.  A usable, more elegant approach would be nice to have. If the
>> simple method works for you or others, then I probably have something else
>> wrong with my system that I would need to sort out.
>>
> If it's just a question of FGDB support for GDAL (and QGIS), I've been
> sitting on a FGDB plugin for my GDAL framework.  2 problems have been holding
> me back: the license is unclear if the DLLs can be distributed with open
> source software (or any software at all), and even if that was allowed, all
> Esri software has an export limitation that I am not capable of enforcing in
> my downloads.
>
> The only option I can think of is to have users download and install the FGDB
> API themselves and my plugin will use that (I did that long ago with the OCI
> plugin).  I could craft my installer to make that painless.  Other open
> source software does a similar thing with incompatible licenses.

The latter approach sounds like a good and acceptable means of making this
available to all the framework users out there, which is probably 99% of all
QGIS mac users. I think you have to create a free ESRI account to download the
api, so you are most likely in safe territory having users that require FileGDB
signing on and agreeing to ESRI's license on their own. Thanks for chiming in
on this and proposing a good solution!

Regards,
John