I've never liked side bar tools but since I will be able to move it I wouldn't
be unhappy if that's the default

Sent from Samsung tabletLarry Shaffer <lar...@dakotacarto.com> wrote:H Pirmin,

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Pirmin Kalberer <pi...@sourcepole.com> wrote:
Hi Jürgen,

Am Mittwoch, 10. Juli 2013, 08.38:38 schrieb Jürgen E. Fischer:

> On Tue, 09. Jul 2013 at 22:55:18 +0200, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> > Toolbars:
> > -Turn off Advanced Digitizing
> > -Move Label to second row
> >
> > Panels:
> > -Turn on Layer order and Browser in a tabbed view with Layers
> >
> > Print composer:
> > -Place all toolbars in one row
>
> In case anyone missed it:  scripts/mkuidefaults.py produces
> src/app/ui_defaults.h from the current settings.

Didn't know that. Updated the script to support composer UI defaults.

Couple of other ideas comments, too:

* Currently there are no side toolbars by default. Many apps utilize the left
side toolbar for critical tools. To me, such tools in a GIS app are the canvas
navigation tools. So whenever I to an initial setup of QGIS, I always put the
Map Navigation toolbar on the left.

* Similarly, I always place the Plugins toolbar on the right side. There is
currently a bug that sets that toolbar to not be shown on a default install
(that should be fixed).

I would like to hear feedback on those two suggestions for default side
toolbars. Following your suggestions (and mine), the default window would look
similar to this (on Mac) [0].

+1 for removing Advanced Digitizing toolbar as a default, as all of the
functions are available in the Edit menu already. If needed, the user can show
that toolbar.

Another major layout issue is what the layout looks like after turning on all
core plugins [1]. Then, what it looks like when all those plugin toolbars are
shown [2]. This needs some work.

[0] http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default.png
[1]
http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default_core-plugins_no-extra-toolbars.png
[2]
http://drive.dakotacarto.com/qgis/qgis_default_core-plugins_with-toolbars.png

Regards,

Larry

> So updating it should be easy, once it's decides what should be the default.
>
> Not sure if the data contains pixel coordinates and if the screen resolution
> might therefore be an issue...

Let's try: https://github.com/qgis/Quantum-GIS/pull/710

Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions