That reminds me of someone mentioning in a ticket of a 2.0 issue resolved
against qgis 2.1 that he'd wait (angrily?) having fix backported into a
(mythical) 2.0.x update rather than him moving to 2.2 and having to deal
with possible regressions. I was thinking at the time that this sounds to
me like a flawed behavior by some QGIS users, an egg or chicken situation.
How are regressions fixed if users are not doing their parts in uncovering
and reporting them.

That led me to think there might be a very low-cost, high reward behavior
QGIS could adopt: 4, or 2, weeks before the release date, {beta,release
candidate,tech preview,etc.} builds (from master, no need to branch out
really) are pushed out to osgeo4w & linux and quite loudly advertised (blog
posts, social media, etc.) to get as many users as possible to test drive
it. The users' feedback would enrich the 4-weeks period when developers are
to be focused on bug-fixing only.

Thoughts? Was that already suggested and declined?

Math