Happy to report that following Martin's last commit (
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/daf1e0b6881cdb77df6f6a9dc988ad92e0f9019d),
I cannot see any issues with vector/raster layer rendering, as well as
labelling. All renders like 2.2, except the user experience is 10 times
better :)

Larry, I'm pretty sure your labeling tests will mostly turn green now.

Math