On 2014/03/02 19:13, Tim Sutton wrote:
Hey Zoltan
Hi Tim,
Long time no chat......

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Zoltan Szecsei <zolt...@geograph.co.za <mailto:zolt...@geograph.co.za>> wrote:

8<---------------------snip---------------------------------

    Please consider this methodolgy:
    Currently, when QGIS loads a map layer, certain default things
    happen: Styles get assigned, etc etc.
    As a maplayer is loaded (or perhaps only when the user changes
    something (like style)), QGIS should dump a [maplayername].qgis
    file, text format, perhaps keyword-value layout, into the
    directory that the map is stored. This file will then contain all
    the internal QGIS defaults, and of course updates to the current
    (style ) status, as the user changes them.
    The benefits of using this implementation scheme could be vast:

      * For deployment purposes, users could create/edit this file
        outside of QGIS
      * QGIS Dev could implement a methodology whereby user scripts
        could read and write to this maplayer specific file - for
        example: map production information whilst capture staff are
        creating features.
      * This file could even be designed to live at the project level,
        and at the user level - this way departmental level defaults
        could be set (deployed), and for those users who need it,
        these could be over-ridden by having that filename als local
        to the user, but with user specific values.
      * Should any of these filenames only have some of the default
        keyword-values, QGIS could look for the other defaults at
        higher filename level (ie project level if user-level does not
        exist), or as currently, at the internally stored default actions.

And the downsides could be (if I understand your proposal correctly):

* Working on a shared file store you are going to wreak all kinds of havoc with user experience as different users overwrite the same file concurrently
Too true. But that's the same as if two users tried to edit the same map layer on a central server, from two different clients, so it would have to be implemented with the same locking or shared update mechanism that the map layer itself is enjoying.
* Working with a read only directory it obviously wont work
duh... :-)
* Working with remote datasources (PostGIS etc.) it won't work
Yes, there will always be situations where this won't work, but then QGIS could fall back to it's current methodology.

    The above implementation strategy would not need a special
    "export" menu as the information would then always be stored in a
    user useable file.
    If this file becomes corrupt or nonsensical, QGIS actions could
    revert to the default internal actions.

    As time goes by, I reckon QGIS developers would find many more
    uses for this map-layer specific file mechanism, should it be
    available.

    Hope I'm making sense.

Not completely for me :-)
True - my fault. I work with simplistic file types (mainly shape-files), as my clients dictate what I have to capture and deliver in. This mechanism would work well for Shape files, because they don't support concurrent editing, and thus the .qgis file I am thinking of, would also not have to worry about concurrent updates. Incidentally, I implemented exactly this sort of status tracking with scripts in my proprietary GIS package, and it worked really well, so, truth be told, I am missing this facility when using QGIS.
Cheers for now,

Regards

Tim

    Kind regards,
    Zoltan

    Zoltan Szecsei PrGISc [PGP0031]
    Geograph (Pty) Ltd.
    GIS and Photogrammetric Service

    P.O. Box 7, Muizenberg 7950, South Africa.

    Mobile:+27-83-6004028  <tel:%2B27-83-6004028>
    Fax:+27-86-6115323  <tel:%2B27-86-6115323>      www.geograph.co.za
<http://www.geograph.co.za>

Tim Sutton - QGIS Project Steering Committee Member

Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net <http://freenode.net>

Fax:    +27-86-6115323     www.geograph.co.za