Hi Jonathan,

I don't think that this is the message that QGIS wants to spread. If it
would be, we would do popups that ask you to sponsor for every new
feature you created ;-)

But as you state, sponsorship is a means to an end. As such it is a
prerequisite for moving this software on and therefore it is good if
users are aware of the fact, that this software was created by people
and that they can only spend their time if they have a possibility to
get the money they need for a living.

If you ask me: a "funded by" is in a commit author's responsibility. He
knows what he wrote that commit for. Be it for money, for fun, for his
boss, somebody he loves or a university degree. If he thinks it is worth
putting a note there for any reason - i.e. definitely not limited to
monetary transactions - he should be able to do so. It does no harm, but
may be a reward for his time or be part of a contract.

The username next to a git commit is not the same thing. It can only
tell who does the commit, but does not tell for what reason/who he does it.

The only restriction I would put to this is that it must be placed at
the end of the commit on a new line (for the sake of good readability).

Regards,
Matthias