On 11/2/15 4:29 AM, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
Hey Victor,

Working on the same kind of thing over here:
https://github.com/NathanW2/parfait

Hi,

I wrote a few wrappers for the PyQGIS Programmer's guide that you might take a look at: http://locatepress.com/ppg/data_code

Includes a generic add layer function that takes determines whether it is a vector or raster and calls the appropriate supporting function.

Nothing earth-shattering; was meant as an example to get folks thinking in that direction.

I'm definitely interested in this project...

-gary

IMO I would rather see a new module and not put it in qgis.utils.
Something like qgis.py or qgis.wrappers or something like that that.

- Nathan

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Victor Olaya <vola...@gmail.com
<mailto:vola...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > I'm in two minds as to whether it would be a good thing to have an
    > 'official' one. While I can see the use, surely if these things are useful
    > then they should be included in the mainline API with proper API
guarantees?
    > I'm not sure I'd want to rely on a library that doesn't have an API
    > guarantee, and if you're making the guarantee then why not in core? If
they
    > are *required* for a plugin to be accepted, then they must be in core and
    > have an API guarantee.

    My ideas is definitely to put this into core (that's what I wrote in
    my email when i detailed the plans that i have for this), but I have
    started it as a separate repo to make it easier to collaborate and to
    start moving ASAP.

    I could write a QEP with this idea, get it approved, throw a bunch of
    empty py modules in qgis.utils and then start working, but I like to
    first do some work, get people into it, and then do the bureucracy to
    pass this to core (I am sure no one will say no to this once a nice
    collection of functions is ready)

    I will wait for other people to voice their opinion, and if most
    people agree on going taht other way, I have nothing against it

Gary Sherman

Founder, QGIS Project
Consulting: geoapt.com
Publishing: locatepress.com