Hi,
please, can anyone tell me what default encoding QGIS uses when loading a
Shapefile?
In my QGIS 2.14.7 on Windows 7 64bit  "Ignore shapefile encoding declaration"
is checked,
so if I load a Shapefile with a corresponding utf-8-cpg-file using "drag and
drop" it is encoded as 'system' and the encoding is wrong (what encoding is
'system'?).
If I load a Shapefile with a corresponding utf-8-cpg-file using "Add Vector
Layer" it is encoded as 'utf-8' and the encoding is fine.
In both cases I can change the data source encoding in the properties dialog.

Is it possible to change the behavior of drag and drop to use utf-8

If I uncheck "Ignore shapefile encoding declaration"
and load the shapefile either using "Add Vector Layer" or drag and drop the
cpg-file is interpreted correctly and the encoding is set to utf-8.
But now I cannot change the data source encoding in the properties dialog
anymore.
I think it should still be possible to change the encoding in the properties
dialog.

Peter