Hi Tom,

On Thu, 23. Mar 2017 at 04:02:46 -0700, Tom Chadwin wrote:
> So my question is, can I retrieve that second URL via the QGIS API? How does
> QGIS do it itself?

It parses the capabilities and uses the url advertices for GetMap requests -
and we don't have an API to retrieve provider internals.

There also is an option to ignore that url and form the GetMap request using
the original URL and ignore what GetCapabilities reports.  Not useful in this
case - but something to consider for others.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode