We have been members of OpenDWG then Open Design Alliance for years. Teigha
is not open source, but we never paid any fee to use the converter/viewer,
I don't know if there is any limitation to use the (binary) libraries
included. I don't think so, but I may be wrong.
Licensing the source is unfortunately not free (as in free beer) and open
is "members only" which is a real pity.
Anyway, GDAL has a new driver based on the free (as in free speech as well
as in free beer) Libopencad (https://github.com/sandyre/libopencad), it's
called OpenCAD: http://www.gdal.org/drv_cad.html.
Unfortunately it does not cover DGN v8. I think Alexandr Borzykh could
extend his library to cover it as it is similar to DWG (it has no relation
to previous "true" DGN format).

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Jürgen E. Fischer <j...@norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Erik,
>
> On Tue, 13. Mar 2018 at 13:59:48 +0100, Erik Leemreijze wrote:
> > I went looking for a solution and according to this website
> > (http://www.gdal.org/drv_dgnv8.html) it should actually be possible to
> load
> > the file format DGN v8 in QGis 2.18 and 3.0. However, it still does not
> > work. Does anyone know a solution for this problem?
>
> "This driver requires to be built against the (non open source) Open Design
> Alliance Teiga library."
>
> And that library is proprietary and only available for a fee (see
> https://www.opendesign.com/join).
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
> +49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
> +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden
> http://www.norbit.de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel./fax +39(0)10 2475439  +39 0108566195  mobile:+39 393 1590711
   e-mail: berte...@chartasrl.eu      http://www.chartasrl.eu