On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 04:15, <rjwill...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in QGIS 2.18 when you had selected for your layout to "follow visibility
> preset" and then went to "Add layer to legend" your list of layers would be
> restricted to the subset of layers that were turned on for the preset (now
> called map theme).
>
> This does not happen in Q3.2 or the latest Q developmental version where
> instead all of the layers in the project are listed.
>
> I love the new search dialogue built into the developmental version so that
> you can quickly search for your layer to add to the legend; however, it is
> still much quicker to add the relevant layers to your legend by restricting
> the layers shown in the selection dialogue to those turned on in the map
> theme selected to be followed (i.e., checkbox for follow map theme selected).
> Usually I have lots of layers in the project that are not turned on so it can
> be hard to remember what the layers are called later when I get around to
> creating the legend
>
> Possibly this change in behaviour was introduced by design or necessitated by
> some other limitation so may not even be possible to retain?

The change was intentional, as it allows layers to be added to a
legend when they aren't visible in the main canvas (e.g. due to the
canvas showing a different map theme, or having a layer for "legend
purposes only").

I'd suggest we could satisfy both use cases by adding a checkbox "only
show visible layers" to the bottom of this dialog. Do you agree?

Nyall