On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 at 07:21, Tim Sutton <t...@kartoza.com> wrote:

> For the macOS side of this, I wonder if things are quite so urgent. I think
> the first ARM (‘Apple Silicon’) based machines are going to be out this year,
> but it will be a two years before their product line is fully transitioned.
> macOS 11, as I understood things, will ship with Rosetta which will do a
> direct binary translation to ARM byte code, even if the binary does not ship
> with ARM binaries (e.g. as a Universal Binary). In the last episode of the
> ubuntu podcast
> (https://ubuntupodcast.org/2020/07/02/s13e15-vertical-chopsticks/) they
> discussed it a bit - probably worth a listen… I heard that the Rosetta
> overhead is around 25% on current development environments - probably the
> overhead will be reduced as the release approaches. Anyway, its good you are
> planning for the future, but I don’t think that macIS users are going to be
> left high and dry with upcoming changes…..hope I am note wrong :-)

That's fair enough. I still think we should permit Qt 6 builds as soon
as possible, for all the other reasons I listed :)

I'd also like to point out that 25% is quite a drop in performance (I
get pissed off whenever I see my system performance drop a few percent
due to the latest Intel incompetence!!). I can only imagine that our
mac users will be quite...  ummm... "demanding" that we get native
support available for their platform as soon as this hardware retails!