Jeff McKenna
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/

On 2020-12-01 7:22 a.m., Andreas Neumann wrote:
Hi Dimitris,

Interesting, thanks for confirming.

It is not the first time I hear that the Browser Panel is slowing down QGIS too much (even bringing it to a halt almost).

Now it would be interesting to find out, what, in the browser in your situation is the culprit. Is it network drives, databases, services? My first guess would be the network drives.

This is kind of problematic, as the QGIS devs are more and more promoting usage of the browser panel (and it is quite useful and comfortable), but if it is a potential source of slow down ... I don't know if it is so wise to promote the browser so much. Or at least we should be more conservative on scanning folders by default.

Andreas