I'd like to ask a question about Linux installers whilst I'm here.

Software like Firefox is shipped as a tarball that I can just unzip to a folder of my choice in my user profile. It saves a lot of time when reinstalling Linux when these applications are already in the existing user profile on my computer.

Is this an option for Linux installations?