Hi Nyall,

I have no objections to remove the __revision__ and __email__ and to
move remaining information to a comment instead of using the __param__
format but I am strongly against removing "author" and "date"
information altogether, especially from the C++ files.

I find it useful to quickly remind me about the origin of that part of
the code and honestly I like the fact that people who initially spent
time on that (even if they do not contribute anymore or their code was
almost totally rewritten) is mentioned and remembered in the headers
"forever".

Kind regards.

On Sun, Nov 5, 2023 at 10:53 PM Nyall Dawson via QGIS-Developer
<qgis-developer@lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Hey list,
>
> I'd like to propose that we remove all the __author__ , __date__ and
> __copyright__ strings from the python files in our repository.
>
> My thinking:
>
> - This isn't an official Python style standard or universally recommended
> approach. It *is* used elsewhere, but there's an equally large group which
> consider it just unnecessary noise.
> - It's misleading, and presents the incorrect impression that a single person
> is responsible for the code in that file. That's 100% NOT the case with QGIS.
> - It's all redundant. This information is available in a MUCH more accurate
> form via git history.
>
> Are there any objections to removing this?
>
> (For completeness: In a follow up proposal I'm going to suggest removing ALL
> the "Date: / Copyright: / Email: " strings from our file headers, for the
> same reasons).
>
> Nyall

Alessandro Pasotti
QCooperative:  www.qcooperative.net