Thanks a lot Andrea, you found the reason!
The extent was wrong, and if I calculate & write it correctly, the file works.
(Basically, I calculated it on the GPS points themselves, and not on the
interpolated points, and it makes a difference because I interpolate points
"before any GPS info" or "after the last GPS point").

To answer to other suggestions:
- indeed, writing the file again from QGIS saves the new file in the right
format
- the .dbf file was not fautly. I had the same symptoms with or without it, so
I did not mention it / send it.

- I write the shapefiles "by hand", using the ESRI norm, playing around with
the Little Endian and Big Endian formats (why did they make it so complex?).

Thanks again !
Aurélie