I am in process of upgrading my plugin to work in QGIS 3.28.15.  I have layer
styles that I created in 3.16.16.

I noticed the update to the Properties Symbology setting includes Legend
Settings...

It seems that continuous legends are the default.  I have layer styles files I
have do not have this set and when those are applied to my layer, continuous
legends are on by default so I lose my labels.  That is, my layer style qml
file does not have the entry below.

<rampLegendSettings maximumLabel="" orientation="1" minimumLabel=""
direction="1" suffix="" useContinuousLegend="0" prefix="">