I can't seem to create pyramids with 0.11. Neither on Windows nor on Ubuntu.

I'm working with some tif rasters, of about 160 MB each. They were originally jpeg, which I converted with gdal_translate. The jpegs load *very* slowly. They are about 10 MB, and it takes some 45 secs to load each image. After converting to three-band tiffs:

gdal_translate -of GTiff -co 'TILED=YES' file.jpg file.tif
I can load the tiff in about 15 secs.
(Just for comparison, the same 10MB jpeg images load in ArcMap in about 5 secs, and the 160 MB tiff, after Arc creates their external pyramids, loads almost immediately...) But when I try to create pyramids, it seems to be working for a while, then the process ends. But there is no change to the file, and if I reopen the properties window to the Pyramids tab, all pixel levels are still marked in red.
The tiff's are in my homedir so, yes, I have write access.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks,
Micha