On Sat, 2011-06-25 at 21:12 -0700, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 06/25/2011 08:57 PM, Tony Bazeley wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having some trouble with the QGIS Python Plugin Installer in 1.6
> > under Ubuntu Natty Narwhal
> >
> > The user guide instructions:
> >
> > "In order to download and install an external Python plugin,
> > click the menu Plugins> Fetch Python Plugins... .
> >
> > The Plugin Installer window will appear (figure 9.2) with the tab
> > Plugins, containing a list of all locally installed Python plugins, as
> > well as plugins available in remote repositories."
> >
> > don't seem applicable as no Fetch Python Plugins entry exists ( see
> > attached image).
> >
> > I've recently upgraded to Natty Narwhal, and have uninstalled and
> > reinstalled Qgis.
> >
> > I've also downloaded the plugin_installer into /usr/lib/qgis/plugins
> > with no effect.
> >
> > Any pointers would be much appreciated.
> >

> Make sure you have also installed the python-qgis package on Ubuntu.
> There should be no need to manually download the plugin installer.
>
> After you do that the menu and the several key plugins (ftools and
> GDALtools) will show up.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex
> _
Thanks for your response, Alex.

The problem seems to be that python-qgis is dependent on
python-qgis-common, which in turn is dependent on python-gdal.

The default python-gdal (1.7.3-2~maverick) is reported as broken.

Looks like the ubuntu gis repository is still a maverick version, but in
a state of transition.

I find it a bit confusing as all three packages above have maverick
defaults but natty alternatives.

However the alternatives appear to be earlier versions(eg 1.6.3 for
python-gdal).

The package manager cautions against forcing a version:

"The package manager always selects the most applicable version
available. If you force a different version from the default one, errors
in the dependency handling can occur"

Tony