Are there plans for a detailed, written in a  you-don't-have-to-be
an-experienced-programmer kind of way book that helps explain PyQGIS and
how to use it? Something most folks new to QGIS and not necessarily with
a programming background (remember, never assume all GIS folks are deep
into programming) could understand. Something with the big picture,
loads of example, modules, functions, and classes explained? Lots of
details about how to write plugins? At least 300 pages.

Python Scripting for ArcGIS by Paul A. Zanbergen is an excellent book
and knows its audience well (knows not all GIS folks are also
experienced programmers, the two are very separate). How about a PyQGIS
book like this? All there is right now is the PyQGIS cook book which is
pretty slim and I think assumes too much that everyone is a programmer.

Programming ArcGIS 10.1 with Python Cookbook by Erick Pimpler is great.
So is A Python Primer for ArcGIS by Nathan Jennings.

Seems like a obvious need for a good, large PyQGIS book by Packt
Publishing, something about three times as thick as Anita Graser's book.

Also, to a QGIS newbie, especially to someone who has enjoyed the
extremely easy to understand ArcPy documentation from ESRI, the online
QGIS API Documentation is incredibly confusing and not very user
friendly. Looks like it is written for someone who knows C++. See
http://qgis.org/api/classQgisInterface.html. What in world are Public
Slots (aren't these just python functions?), virtual Qaction, virtual
void, virtual bool, Signals, Public Member functions? What the heck does
Constructor & Destructor Documentation mean? Member Function
Documentation? [pure virtual slot]? Loads of things listed in their own
box that don't really tell me anything. What's with "::?" Coworker told
me it is C++ syntax. What is a .h file? .cpp file? Again, coworker who
is programmer told me about these C++ type files. It all seems very
messy and does not tell me what I need to know. Can something more
organized, such as categorized groupings of functions and classes with a
simple summary, discussion, usage syntax (that really needs to be
simplified to plain English), parameter list with explanation and data
type for each, then some examples?

Check out the online ArcPy help page for the ExportToPDF function:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/#/ExportToPDF/00s300000027
000000/.

Everything there is explained well, tells me how to use it, what it
does, lists parameters, simple types, and code examples. No Public Slots
or virtual bool here, just straightforward lists of types like string,
boolean, integer.

See how all the ArcPy classes and functions are organized into
categories like Cursors, Fields, Geometry, Listing data, Raster, etc.,
so a user can go straight to what they need. Can something like this be
created for PyQGIS? You will get a lot more people on board with QGIS
this way.

David

David Chrest

Research GIS Analyst