Hello,

In times I though about doing a python plugin for it, but I have never had
the time to do it. I think that is a valid idea for a plugin as for
instance Biologists and Botanics very often use MGRS to register species
location.

I believe that 2 option arise:
1 - ask some help to developers (qgis-develo...@lists.osgeo.org) to create
a core plugin in C
2 - port the code to python, and implemented in a plugin using the
available tools like plugin builder, and the pyqgis cookbook.

I don't know much of C, but I can take a look into to the code and see how
difficult it would be to port it to python.

Regards,

Alexandre Neto