Hi Pat,

It doesn't actually work that way. If sorted by alphabet then if a layer
starting with the letter A was a raster layer then it would cover all the rest
of the layers in the stack. Moving something up the list places its features on
top of those below (if that makes sense). In general the stack might have
something like this from top to bottom

·         Labels

·         point data

·         Polyline data

·         Transparent Polygon layers

·         Raster or image layers

Sorry if I am stating the obvious and you are after some other function that I
am not aware of (I am also a newbie at QGIS)

Cheers - Phil