Am 24.02.2015 um 07:55 schrieb Ramon Andiñach:

On 24 Feb 2015, at 14:06, Sharon Selvaggio

I start by setting my project CRS.

And make sure OTF is on.

You have no choice of setting a project CRS if OTF is off.

But when I do this with files that have originated from two
different sources with different native projections (or no
projection?) they still do not align.

Different sources or different layer CRS shouldn't matter.

Shapefiles without .prj file are still existing in the world.

There is an option mentioned previously so that you can set how QGIS
handles layers that it can't tell what the CRS is.

Settings -> Options, CRS Tab, CRS foor new layers.

If you can point us at the files you're using - or excerpts from them
- then we might be able to understand where the problem is better.

Or tell us the extent of every layer, as reported by Rightclick -> Properties, metadata tab.

1. On a side note. Do not use the Google maps/satellite images to
check if your layers are in the right place unless you understand the
gotchas in using that service.

I don't agree with that.
If some layers come up on the wrong part of the Earth, it is a good reference to see which layers are right and which are wrong.

Natural Earth shapefiles can be a reference as well.

Greetings,
André Joost