Chris,

The SLD written by QGIS is not compatible with the one expected by QGIS

The QGIS OpenGeo plugin [1] tries to solve that by converting it and
modifying it. You can upload your layers and styles to GeoServer using
the OpenGeo plugin.

If you want to automate that conversion or do it manually, you will
find a convertQgsToGs() method in the sldadapter module of the plugin
to do so (see [2])

Let me know if you have questions

Regards

[1] https://github.com/boundlessgeo/suite-qgis-plugin