As a stop gap you could use the styling of your points.

So for dip you could have a marker symbol that is a horizontal line __ and a
second marker symbol that is a vertical line | to give a combined _|_ symbol.
(I can do you up a screen shot if you want)

Then you just need to rotate to fit. (and get your head around cartographers
and geologists thinking about rotation differently!)

-ramon.