From: Qgis-user [mailto:qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Nyall
Dawson
Sent: 8. februar 2016 21:20
To: Richard Duivenvoorde <rich...@duif.net>
Cc: qgis-user <qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [Qgis-user] Open attribute table in form view by default

On 9 Feb 2016 12:47 AM, "Richard Duivenvoorde"
<rdmaili...@duif.net<mailto:rdmaili...@duif.net>> wrote:

> On 08-02-16 14:37, Andreas Neumann wrote:
> >
> > If this important to you - please consider sponsoring a dev to implement
> > this. It can't be very complicated to implement.
>
> Can we please(!) stop saying this all the time. I still hope(d) that
> QGIS is a project where people work on a more or less idealistic way on
> QGIS.

Well, the reality is that there's a very limited number of ways in which new
features get implemented in QGIS:

1. Write it yourself. (Requires knowledge of QGIS source and c++)

2. Pay someone else to write it for you (requires money)

3. Wait for someone else to write/pay for it (requires patience and hope that
your request is something someone else really needs)

4. Try to convince someone to donate their work/free time to do it for you
(requires super levels of negotiating and finding the magic words to say to
developers on irc/email/etc, or a project which is sufficiently interesting to
attract a developer's attention regardless.)

I don't think there's any other ways code gets added to QGIS.

(Note that I'm *not* discounting all the non development volunteer/paid QGIS
work, I'm just referring to how features can get added.)

Given this, I think it's fine to direct people who request stuff to the most
direct and reliable way to make changes happen - option 2 above. Just saying
"file a feature request" alone isn't all that helpful (it's effectively options
3 or 4 above). It's also very helpful to also let them know how they can make
these changes happen quickly.

Nyall