Hi Joris,

NOT confirmed here (but on Debian, don't own a Mac), I opened your
project and changed all point layers to svg symbols without a problem...

Are you sure Settings/Options/System/SVG-Path is empty? And not pointing
to some strange dir or so?

Did you already try to open this project on another (mac) system?

And what about opening QGIS from the command line with
  qgis --configpath /tmp
so you will have no active plugins and start with a fresh configuration?
Does that help, maybe?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde