I am just wondering: Why is the "big" table only twenty rows? Is this a multi(polygon?) table? If yes and the parts of each multipolygon are all over the place then this is your problem. QGIS has to load all parts although only a couple of them are visible at the moment. And if it happens that parts of all 20 features are visible QGIS has to load _everything_.

To make it a non-multi table:
<pseudo_code>
CREATE newtable as(
gid SERIAL NOT NULL
other_fields,
pk_constraint);
SELECT addgeometrycolumn(newtable,....); --Polygon
-- explode-code
INSERT INTO newtable(gid,the_geom,other_fields)
SELECT nextval('newtable_gid_seq') AS gid, the_geom, other_fields
FROM (SELECT ST_GeometryN(the_geom, generate_series(1, ST_NumGeometries(the_geom))) AS the_geom, other_fields
                FROM your_multi_table
                WHERE GeometryType(the_geom) = 'MULTIPOLYGON'
        ) AS foo;
</pseudo_code>
(I do not remember where I once read this code, so I cannot give credits to the author here, I am afraid)

You could of course explode the multi features in QGIS and load the result into the db, too.
Create a spatial index on newtable and vacuum it afterwards.

Bernhard