Hi,
The manual is for 2.0 and you are using 2.14.3.  It's probable that things
have moved a bit.  Try looking under the layer menu and look for new
vector layer or something like that.
If you don't find it, I can look for it later today when I sit down in front of
my computer.
Nicolas
On Jul 8, 2016 9:17 AM, "Tyler Veinot-2 [via OSGeo.org]    "