Hi Andreas

Yes I think the value map option might suit my needs better from what I can
see, thanks very much for your response!

From: Neumann, Andreas [mailto:a.neum...@carto.net]
Sent: 18 July 2016 12:40
To: Chris Buckmaster
Cc: qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [Qgis-user] Value relation option in QGIS

Hi Chris,

There is the "Value Map" alternative, which loads the value and descriptions
from an existing layer and you can remove that value layer afterwards. The
drawback is that it isn't a "live link". So if you change your value table you
have to manually resync the data. The values and descriptions are then stored
in the project and exported/loaded with the style.

There is a project just about to be started that more intelligently loads data
from PostgreSQL (project generator). But this won't be available until 2017.
Meanwhile, if your data is in PostgreSQL, you can also use the "Data driven
input mask" plugin from Bernhard Ströbl - which does exactly that, but from a
Python plugin.

Greetings,

Andreas