I understood from discussions with dms some time ago that at least for simple
styles, its theoretically possible as the underlying ogr library can within
limits see the details. Note lots of caveats, the file that keeps this
information, is like with esri, binary and proprietary.

For my end of exploration, this is a key step for qgis adoption, but I've never
been in a position to be able to get anything done about it.

I did at one point knock up some linux shell scripts to help with this. It's
not helped by the fact that mapinfo is not case sensitive, so to it SHCC, SHCc,
SHcc, Shcc, shcc, etc are all the same.

-ramon.