Hello dear QGis users!

A collegue and me were wondering if it is possible to create contour lines, or
more important for us, FILLED contour lines (areas) for RASTER LAYER data!
We are both very positive that this once worked and we have done that. Now we
cannot find the way to reproduce that anymore.
On the one hand, we thought that we had done it with the gdal-Contour tool in
QGIS (Raster->Extract->Contour), but now we can't find an option to generate
filled contour areas, like
it is possible with the installable extension "Contour Plugin" (which is only
possible to use with a point vector layer, but this is exactly what we think
that we have done to a raster layer file!).

1)      Now the question: was that ever possible to do with the gdal-contour
plugin? Or not...

2)      On the other hand, we also tried to use the GRASS Gis algorithms
r.contour.level or r.contour.step, etc in the processing toolbox, but they keep
giving us the error message: "environment can only contain strings See log for
more details". What ist he problem here? Does it have to do with the new
version Grass Gis 7?

3)      Bottom line is: We have got a .dat file, which is a raster layer with
valued pixels that we are displaying in spectral colors. Now we want to extract
the contour lines and to have a color fill between those contour lines. How
would you do this - is there an easy solution, which differs from the numerous
tutorials on the web, which seem to be a lot more complicated than what we
actually remember to have done?

Thank you very much in advance, any answer would be very helpful!

Best regards,
Hannes Kohlmann