Lester,

I’ve worked on that a number of times and on different GIS packages.  Usually
the simple solution is to generate a profile using an arbitrate projection
system - essentially creating another map, and then adding a frame with that
map into the main layout/map your are building in composer.  You might need to
use some pseudo coordinates like the projection your plan is in to make is
simpler.  This can be helpful when your sections are N-S or E-W and then the
elevation is an offset from the northing (or easting)

Having said that, we are looking at the possibility of supporting an extension
to QGIS that would develop into an open source section and drill hole package.
Adding that to QGIS will make it very attractive to many kinds of geological
work.  We estimate that the cost of supporting the initial work will be not
much different than a few commercial licences for … something else.

Please let me know if this makes enough sense or you need other suggestions.
Or if you are interested in geological plugging for QGIS as well!

Regards,

John Harrop
VP Exploration
International Lithium Corp