Settings > Options > Map Tools (Left Hand Side Panel) At the top you should
see identify and a drop down for highlight color. If this color is set to
100% Transparent then it would work as if there was no highlight. Other
than that I see no other way to turn off the highlight so check there;
maybe you accidentally made your highlight transparent. To add to that,
white would look like there was no highlight on if the background color was
also white, its effect is a very light ghosting of the feature when
identified; easily missed.
Tyler