Sorry, I still have no idea what your data looks like and what you like to achieve.

Cheers
Bernd

Am 15.11.2016, 21:51 Uhr, schrieb Azzurra Lentini <azzurralent...@gmail.com>:

Dear all,
I have an attribute table (associated to a shape file).

One of the field is a string type field and his name is “DESCRIPTION” , I need this field as an INT number. The field “description” is formed by 25 different samples and around 350 records (so for every sample there are different records with the same >description).

SO I create a new field “descriptionINT” and I would like to fill the field with 25 numbers (1, 2, 3,.... 25) associated to the 25 different sample and 350 >records.
How I can do?
Till now, I was first selecting the records related to the first sample and I was giving the number, for example 1 (with field calculator) to all the records >related to the same sample. But I am doing this one by one.. that means every time a do a new selection and I give a new number with field calculator.
Do you know a faster way (query)  to do this ?
​thanks A.L. ​

--Dr. HydrogeologistAZZURRA LENTINI
Expert of evaluation environmental hazards
GIS applicationHaity Mobile Tel: 0050946057393
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Italy Mobile Tel.: **(39) 338 24 40 676
SKYPE azzurrahydro
azzurralent...@gmail.com
*Par respect pour l'environnement,*

*n'imprimez ce mail qu'en cas d'absolue nécessité*

--
Bernd Vogelgesang
Siedlerstraße 2