Hi QGIS community,

My reason for using QGIS is relatively simple. I could really use some help to
set me straight and I would be very grateful.

  *   My study area is Duncan Down in Whitstable, UK. I have attempted to
geo-reference a hi-res image of this site from Google Earth.
  *   I want to over lay this with a grid to represent quadrats for vegetation
mapping and random sampling.
  *   I'll use images taken from these stages to include in  my methods section
of my MSc dissertation/thesis

My problems are:

  *   That, in georeferencing the google earth image (with the georeferencing
tool) I have been able to get it to line up  just about right with the
openlayers google earth plugin visualisation. I do this by entering coordinates
gained from google earth manually into the georeferencer.

  *   Unfortunately when I go to create a vector grid (via research tools) a
pop-up tells me the CRS for the raster (I am creating the grid for, the study
site) and the project are different. I can get it to create a grid but it is
always rectangular rather than square. I understand that this might be a result
of on-the-fly CRS transformation. I'm not sure whether this is somehow
incorrect or will affect my ability to properly map GPS points gained in the
field work.

  *   The project is WG 84 / Pseudo Mercator EPSG: 3857 and the raster is WG 84
/ Pseudo Mercator EPSG: 4326. When they are like this they are aligned. When I
change the CRS for the raster to match the project (e.g. from 4326 to 3857)  it
ends up being transported to the somewhere else off the coast of South America!
And, it is very skewed.

I feel like I am trying to do a simple thing here and it's going wrong at every
turn....

Kind and hopeful regards,

Alex