I would convert your raster to vector.

Assuming you are on 2.18 (which is what I am currently using) - open your processing toolbox. At the top of QGIS click on Processing -> Toolbox.

1. In your toolbox go to GDAL/OGR -> Conversion -> Polygonize raster to Vector. Once you change that to a vector file then go to the next step.

2. In your toolbox go to QGIS geoalgorithms -> Vector Analysis Tools -> Count points in polygons. That should add a field to your new polygon shapefile with the number of points in that polygon.

Good Luck.