Hi Bernd,

QGIS can prevent gaps/intersections between polygons of the same layer, you only have to switch on the options. IMHO QGIS should not always prevent this because e.g. users may deliberately leave gaps.

So how can you solve your problem?
1) You could teach your users what the options mean and how to use them (I regularly teach my users). 2) You could further prepare a project for them where the snapping options are enabled for the layers in question. If you are in PostGIS create a new DB user that has full rights on these tables and load the layers with this user account, revoke all editing rights from all other DB users. Thus your QGIS users can only edit when they use your prepared project. Be aware that QGIS stores username and password in the project file, but I would not see a problem in this if your users are as dumb as you claim :-) 3) If on PostGIS you could enable triggers on insert/update that does not accept invalid polygons/overlaps between polygons. No way to prevent gaps during editing; gaps must be identified end eliminated afterwards. (4) I have never tried PostGIS' new topology. Maybe it is worth checking it out.

Bernhard