On jeudi 12 janvier 2017 10:17:52 CET Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not manage to send mail to QGIS users, but see this:
> http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/224188/geopackage-error-is-mounted-an
> d-in-wal-mode-this-combination-is-not-allowed
>
> Could it mean issues which end users can't understand if GeoPackage is
> left to WAL mode and user tries to use it from network drive or as
> read-only? Is it even possible to change the journal mode in this case
> without moving the db into local disk?

Jukka,

(Adding qgis-user in CC)

WAL will not enabled by QGIS if the GeoPackage is located on a network driver
(as best as we
can detect that situation !) since the SQLite doc mentions that WAL isn't safe
in that mode
(see https://www.sqlite.org/wal.html)
And I don't think WAL can be enabled either on a read-only file/directory (the
opening will go
on even if we can't turn WAL on)

If moving a WAL enabled DB (the .gpkg plus the -wal and -shm) on a network
share, then this
should probably work, but not in a reliable way in a concurrent use case. If
moving on a read-
only location, according to the doc, the database shouldn't be openable. If
moving only the
.gpkg file without the -wal and -shm, you'll probably get an outdated version
of the database,
or will not be able to open it at all. Not sure.

WAL is turned off by QGIS on layer removal, but QGIS must be the last program
to have the
file opened so that operation to be successful. If a GeoPackage is left in WAL
mode (on a
local disk), a workaround is to close all connections to it, and open / close
it again with QGIS.

If there are interoperability problems, people can either define the
OGR_SQLITE_JOURNAL environment variable to DELETE or set the QGIS setting
"/qgis/
walForSqlite3" (in advanced mode) to false, and this will prevent QGIS from
enabling WAL on
opening. The drawback is potential deadlocks in some situations where a reader
and writer
would run concurrently.

If the current situation causes more harm than good, we can change the  "/qgis/
walForSqlite3" setting default value to false. Together with enabling WAL, I
made another
change in the OGR provider that prevented a reader that has finished from
iterating over
features from being left in a ghost active state, but I guess there will be
real read/write
concurrent situations were deadlocks will appear.

I'm afraid there's no perfect solution. SQLite is a file-based database. One
cannot ask for it
the full power of server-based databases regarding concurrent use.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com