From: Qgis-user [mailto:qgis-user-boun...@lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Stephen
Wandling
Sent: Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:03 AM
To: qgis-user@lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [Qgis-user] QGOS maps fort Garmin GPS

I am running QGIS 2.18.3 and am at a very early learning stage.  I wish to
create simple maps, with 2 or 3 shape files for my Garmin GPSMaps 76CSx.  This
map would consist of Trails and Streams shp files and maybe Contours.  It would
also be accepted by Mapsource and Base Camp.

There were some tutorials that seemed like they were what I wanted, but they
all failed in one regard or another: 1.) They were using an 'ancient' version
of qgis.  2.) The maps they produced worked in just about every Garmin GPS
except the one I own.  3.) They use a plug-in with a disclaimer that it will
demolish my data.  There were other issues, but my memory fails me.

If someone out there is familiar with my situation (and possibly has the same
GPS) and can either point me to a site I missed, or outline the steps for me, I
would be grateful.

[If it is easier to do in ArcMap, I have access to the ESRI software also.]

Please keep in mind that while I have a general idea about GIS work and have
been making some maps, for plotting, that satisfy my needs, I get very lost
when I am subjected to acronyms and technical jargon.  If is not clear and
straightforward, it will probably be wasted on me.

TIA,
Stephen