Hi,
you need to explicitly state the geometry type and SRS in you view definition like this:
CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW test.testbuff as
SELECT gid, area_id,
st_buffer(testshape.geom, 100)::geometry(Polygon,your_srs_code)
as geom2 FROM test.testshape where testshape.area_id=100;

could be Polygon or Multipolygon depending on the input, your_srs_code should be the same as testshape's

QGIS can analyze geometry columns and detect the type (and probably SRS), however only relations with geometry fields defined in this way are listed in geometry_columns.

Bernhard